rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 1988 Dodge PowerRam 150 and have been having an

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Dodge PowerRam 150 and have been having an issue with the engine revving and then shuddering. I sometimes have to keep giving it gas to keep from quitting. Sometimes it will run perfectly fine, but seem to have the most issues when running in the morning. the check engine light came on this weekend, but went off when I restarted it.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: solid, but went out when restarted
JA: What is the model of your '88 Dodge?
Customer: Power Ram 150 pick up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to the shop to start and they thought it was the brain, so we replaced the brain. no dice
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of - thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

We need to get the code that was set out of the computer and this would require a scan tool due to the year. The possibilities of the failure are focused on ignition or fuel at this point. We'll know much more with the codes.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a scan tool
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

My apologies for that, but it doesn't change what we need.

try turning key on and off 3 times, then counting the flashes of the check engine light eliminating the pauses.

thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me for my time and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
at first it flashed 3, but then it was 5 flashes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

That's saying there are no codes, so the battery must have gotten disconnected or lost power to the computer some how.

That being the case, then you need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and check for a strong blue spark at the plugs when cranking it.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me for my time and keep our link.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I apologize, but I will have to follow up with you later on this - family matter...
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hope all is well,

Thanks again, Ron