Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Low p/s pressure at idle on 2008 3500 4x4 a/t, hard to turn.

Customer Question

low p/s pressure at idle on 2008 3500 4x4 a/t, hard to turn. good at 950RPM
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine? What is the model of your '08 Dodge?
Customer: 6.7 cumins 413 th km. running on the third pump replacement
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new p/s oil, all new b/joints,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does this issue occur right away after each pump was replaced or does the replacement pump work for a short period of time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 time, less than a month, other times about 2 months
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we have driven like this for about a year now, it is really bad on yards for loading and unloading, cause the trailer needs to hook up to a tank being loaded
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,what will usually cause premature pump failure like this here is a fault with the steering gear/rack and pinion gear.It can restrict and put pressure on the pump to cause premature failure.I dont suspect this is a steering sensor or solenoid since the replacement pumps last a short time.This does help indicate a fault with the rack and pinion gear/steering gear usually needing either rebuilt or replaced.

I would have this checked into/tested to be sure by a facility that has power steering pump pressure test equipment and can test the gear for issues as it can be expensive to repair or replace the gear but this does sound like the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete