rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

The engine light is on, 3 mechanics can't figure out why and

Customer Question

The engine light is on, 3 mechanics can't figure out why and the codes are not coming up. Also, a possible coolant leak no one can find, but the coolant disappears.
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: hoses: ukn. I assume original to van...I asked about replacing and was told they are fine.
JA: What year is your Van?
Customer: No, coolant to test. Radiator was empty.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2008 caravan.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

If the check engine light is on and no codes are showing up, then you either have a bad computer ground or a bad computer.

The coolant loos may be from a blown head gasket, check compression and do a cylinder leak down test for that.

Thanks, Ron