Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

We have had intermittent starting problems with our Dodge G

Customer Question

We have had intermittent starting problems with our Dodge G Caravan 2011. The Chrysler dealership has not been able to solve the problem.
The battery & starter have been replaced as well as a computer specialist
brought in.
Our extended warranty has covered the cost.
Today I made 12 attempts to start the van and then call our dealership for help. The service manager suggested putting the gear shift in neutral, putting my foot on the brake, and then turning the key. This worked!!!!
Can you advise me as to the problem and how it might be fixed? Our extended warranty expires Feb. 2017.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Has shifting to neutral always resolved this no crank issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Today was the first time I tried it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The problem started about 7 weeks ago - the Chrysler dealership thought the problem was with the starter and installed a new one - the problem persisted and the technicians then tried something with the module software (update it) - software flash for HVAC - that did nothing to solve the problem. Now I am told the techs need to have the vehicle when the issue is occurring but since it happens so infrequently I have the machine because I need it to live.

I do not agree with them changing the starter. As they told you, they need the car when this is occurring to diagnose it. So that means the starter was a guess. If you can do diag with a volt meter I can help you figure this out. If you can not do diag I can explain what I believe is wrong.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris