Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2000 Dodge Neon ES 2.0l will not crank. The battery is

Customer Question

2000 Dodge Neon ES 2.0l will not crank. The battery is evidently good as the lights, radio, etc. work. There is no sound or action at all when the ignition switch is engaged. One day, on my way to work, the 'BATT' light illuminated, then, on the way home it did it again. After that it would not crank again...nothing. Looking for some help.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is*****'d like to assist you with this issue at hand. First do you have access to a volt meter or multi meter? Typically when the Battery light comes on, it means the alternator is not properly charging the battery any longer. I would start by checking the accessory belt for looseness If the belt is there (not broken or missing) and tight, we will also need a volt meter to check the battery voltage. Please let me know if you are able to check the battery voltage. You should see 12.68 volts at the positive and negative terminals if fully charged.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry but its been a bad day here. I will check the battery voltage tomorrow.

okay great, I'll check back here tomorrow .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am currently charging the battery. It has sat idle for a couple of weeks and the voltage on the battery was only 12.08 volts. Belts are tight.

Okay sounds good. Once charged, put your meter on the battery and attempt to start it. We need to see if the starter is pulling a load from the battery. During the cranking action, the battery volts should drop from 12.68v to 11.5v or even 10.5v. If the battery drops below 9.5v, that's too low and the battery should be replaced. If nothing happens, no crank no battery drop, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Battery is fully charged. Nothing happens when trying to click, no nothing.

Ok then, first if this is an automatic transmission vehicle, try to turn the key on and switch the gear selector to neutral and try to start it from the neutral position. If still no change, and we are sure there is no alarm issues, from here we need to see if we are getting battery volts to the stater solenoid when the key switch is turned to start. Is it possible to access the positive wire that connects to the starter solenoid ? if so, put your meter positive lead to the starter solenoid positive input, and your negative lead on battery ground or negative, then, crank the engine and see if you get 12 volts or battery volts cycled with the key switch. If this is true, then the starter is bad and unresponsive, if you are getting no voltage, we need to troubleshoot the starter circuit. This could indicate a problem in the Starter relay or fuse ect.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no change with the transmission in neutral...nothing at nothing. I will have to find the starter solenoid to attempt the next step. It will be a couple of days before I have the time to do so.

okay no problem, let me know, I usually check back here once per day.