sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 dodge ram 2500 v10 4x4 wont start in first gear from a

Customer Question

2001 dodge ram 2500 v10 4x4 wont start in first gear from a dead stop some times.was fine for 10k miles after gps-transducer change and fluid-filter change.now its acting up again any ideas?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: original to truck 2001 135k did not check brake switch.check switch for??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. havent tried anything yet was thinking gov. pressue sensor possibly getting polluted w/wear debris ie electro magnet attracting metal dust-shavings from wear??? my thinking because it worked flawlessly after sensor-transducer change prior????
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it takes off in second gear and shifts fine other than that then the most likely cause would be the governor transducer. A sticking 1-2 shift valve is possible but not nearly as common as a bad transducer. What usually happens is the transducer will show a lower pressure than it should and it causes governor pressure to remain high at stops when it should go to zero. This holds the 1-2 shift valve in the second gear position.

If you have a scan tool and trans pressure gauge you can check the accuracy of the transducer. Otherwise I would recommend replacing it with a Mopar part.