Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

08 ram 2500 diesel 93000 miles just started to usejake brake

Customer Question

08 ram 2500 diesel 93000 miles just started to usejake brake now start up idle ruff whistles check engine light comes on
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Since the Check Engine light is coming on, the best place to start is to obtain the codes stored in the ECM... Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

If that doesn't work The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,