rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I just purchased a 04 ram 5.9l. the serpentine belt came off

Customer Question

I just purchased a 04 ram 5.9l. the serpentine belt came off so I ten it back on I started it up loud screeching noise then the belt came off after 4 minutes I am thinking it's the tensioner but the belt is still on tensioner pulley. What do you think is wrong?
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 174k
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 dodge ram 4x4 quad 5.9l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I managed to put the belt back on. Was thinking it has a bad tensioner but the belt was still on it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The dealership claimed the engine was replaced a year ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Sounds to me that the reason the belt came off was because of the tensioner bearing freezing up. The new belt will come off too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll replace the tensioner.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Great idea,

thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Ron I'll keep it open and let you know how it goes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Okay,