Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Diesel 5.9, 5.9 L. When the truck gets

Customer Question

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Diesel 5.9
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 5.9 L. When the truck gets up to normal operating temperature, about 15 minutes later, the engine starts to knock, then starts to what sounds like a back fire, belches smoke and surges. To include, when the road has bumps or rough, it cases the surge or stumble (similar to out of timing).
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I took the trk to a Diesel repair shop, replaced all injectors, high pressure fuel pump, fuel filter, disconnected electrical plugs, cleaned and reconnected. Still has the same problem and get worse the longer I drive. My thought it might have something to do with a sensor because it acts like a timing and or fuel issue.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?
Customer: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, Laramie, 5.9 Diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced; Fuel Filter, Fuel Injectors, High pressure fuel pump, disconnected and cleaned electrical connectors. Thinking it might be cam or crank sensor acting up
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the Diesel shop I went to is stumped. I am now doing it on my own due to a lot of money paid out and no positive results.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd agree that the issue sounds like it may be electrical

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you but, I have done all of that as earlier stated, Any other ideas?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK I'd next check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

if this is OK then I'd also check the resistance of the coolant temp sensor as this also has a strong effect on the fuelling

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no exhaust leaks, all connectors are good, no codes from sensors just one code P0148 fuel delivery malfunction.Fuel system is clean.Taking it to a Dodge dealership for diagnosis now. No luck on my part.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.