Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

I recently acquired a 99 Durango with $175K miles. It stalls

Customer Question

I recently acquired a 99 Durango with $175K miles. It stalls unexpectedly with no warning, then restarts after a few minutes. I've had it tuned up, replaced battery, my mechanic has no idea why it occasionally stalls? Any thoughts?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer! There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Durango to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this, and if I have been helpful, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Good morning! Just checking to see if you received my answer last night. Let me know,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've had scans run a few time and nothing shows up, so I suspect the PCM. Is this generally an expensive repair? I'd have to have my mechanic do it,
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like it is indeed a PCM. You can get a refurbished one for around $200.00 - $250.00. Very easy to replace. Just have your mechanic order one that is pre programmed to your VIN number. Then it can be installed without any need to program it.

I hope this helps, and please don't forget to rate my service when you get a chance!

Thank you,