Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2006 dodge durango. It shifts into 4wd lo randomly.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 dodge durango. It shifts into 4wd lo randomly. Mainly when i try to unlock the door with the key fob. Sometimes it does it without any reason. I will here a noise from u derneath the car. As if a shift lever is moving.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Is that the only time it will shift into 4wd low, when you unlock the door with the key fob?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. It happens randomly. Sometimes it will shift even if i am nowhere around. It happens sometimes hours after i have left the car. Very random.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But it happens a lot when i either open the door or use the key fob. It happens then about 50% of the time.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I could look it up but it would be faster just to ask you, does the 4wd low work by pressing a button or switch? In other words is it electronic instead of actually manually shifting into it?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, the very first procedure in the repair manual is to retrieve the codes. I figured that was where we should start. It says, "With the scan tool, read DTCs in the Front Control Module (FCM) and in the Instrument Cluster."

I have the list of codes and the test procedure for each, so let me know when you get those codes. If you don't have a scan tool, advance auto or even autozone or any auto-parts store with a scan tool should retrieve the codes for free.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Switch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, it sounds as though something in that circuit may be bad and chances are it may have set a trouble code for itself, so let me know when you get those codes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No error codes found. I went to Auto Zone. I forgot to share some other symptoms with you. Whenever I make a tight right or left turn, for some reason the brakes apply and they wont release until I turn the wheels back straight again. Also at times, randomly, i will hear a loud noise from the rear axle whenever i make a left or right turn. This symptom comes and goes at no specific time. It will just start happening. If i make a turn at a higher rate of speed it wont happen as much. But if i turn slow, it will seem as if the rear end is about to lock up. Not sure if these are associated or not, just thought i would tell you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I know the autozone here only checks for engine trouble codes, not all the other codes from all of the other modules. Didn't they tell you that? or did they check all the modules for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No i didnt know that. So where do i need to go to get those other modules checked?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I think you should get that vehicle into a shop and up on a lift, that way they can start the engine place it in gear and listen for the noise and pinpoint it better, plus see if the front brakes still lookup while on a lift steering and if so what might be causing it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I know advance auto scans all the modules but you had better call them first and ask.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Or you can make a cheap scan tool like I did from a $10 android cellphone, some free software and a $15 adapter, I bought my adapter from obd innovations here http://www.obdinnovations.com/

It will retrieve codes from all of the modules. You can use a windows laptop, too and also an android tablet. probably a windows tablet as well. the thing is finding the free software. the software I found for my Ford probably won't work, it was called Forscan, but search around for OBDII elm software, and I believe it's elm 327. here is a link http://elmelectronics.com/obdsoftware.html

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.