bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4: I recently replaced the wireless

Customer Question

2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4: I recently replaced the wireless control module. The car started fine after the work was completed. Now it wont start again after a little more than a week. There is just a clicking sound when it tries to turn over. I have replaced the old battery with a new one and verified that it has good voltage. I am at an impasse. Please advise.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

is it one SOLID click?or a series of rapid clicks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am going to tell you something really crazy. I just went outside to check the clicks.... and it started. I am baffled.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

have you replaced the starter yet, because a little secret they are SUPER common wireless control modules RARELY fail

also the spade terminal in the starter solenoid is VERY common too

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have turned it on and off multiple times and when for a drive without any issues. Could it have been the terminals not making good contact? I am just confused as to why it would start hours after the battery was replaced and not immediately.
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

are you familiar with how a starter motor is constructed?

there is a solenoid and a motor the solenoid id attached to the motor and when activated allows the motor to turn over the engine, the contacts inside the solenoid are VERY prone to burning and intermittently making poor contact, which will make the engine not turn over INTERMITTENTLY, there are only 2 wires on a modern starter 1 from the starter relay which energizes the solenoid and 1 directly from teh battery the one that energizes the starter solenoid has a crappy connector that is prone to poor intermittent connections.

when ever i see any newer chrysler with an intermittent no crank the FIRST THING i look at is the starter and the connections ON the starter,99.9% of the time that's what fails

the repair kit for the energizing wire is05019927AA and MOST dealers will have it in stock (at least mine does and we keep only common parts)

i recommend replacing teh starter and the energizing wire terminal