rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have Dodge Ram 1500 2011 5.7 Hemi engine, I have my

Customer Question

Hello, I have Dodge Ram 1500 2011 5.7 Hemi engine, I have my alternator broken and I bought new one but now I have problem when the pick up heats up to 90 degrees Celsius then it shuts down. This problem started to appear after the first alternator went off. What is your advice?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Scan the computer and scope out the CRANK sensor and fuel pump. Either one of these can stall you out by losing spark or fuel. I can send you scope graphs if you need them.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ron,We have replaced the crank sensonr with new and spark plugs are also new. We have also noticed that the problem appears when the main computer gets hot the vehicle stops running and when the computer cools down it gets back running again.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

That's a great clue telling us that the computer is bad. We actually test them in the shop with a hair dryer to get them to do what yours just did.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply but can you advice us how to proceed with finding the problem?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

If that computer gets hot and shuts down, then that computer is bad, it's failing the heat test as we call it.

Thanks again, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

The inside electronics is breaking down causing that.

Please remember to rate me so i get credit for help you:)

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible to open and repair the computer or it needs to be replaced with new one?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

It needs to be replaced and the new one will need to be flashed for it to work.

thanks again.