sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My magnum 2007 won't turn to lock leaving everything on, We

Customer Question

my magnum 2007 won't turn to lock leaving everything on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have tried to change battery in key check in the shifting mechanism had diagnostics done and no print out car starts was fine no other problems
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: From what we have read it is the tumbler but I don't understand how that would stop turning it off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the key won't turn to the lock position it could be an ignition lock housing issue but it's more likely to be the interlock cable or an issue in the shifter. Odds are the interlock cable isn't allowing it to turn to the lock position because it isn't seeing that the shifter is in park.

Is the shifter fully in park?
Have you had any shifter problems leading up to this, or has any work been done in the center console?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the shifter is in park. What we have done is to take out the fuse that goes to the keyless entry. The key rests in between the lock and the ACC position it still does not got to the Lock line all the way. So far it allows us to turn the care off enough so as not to drain the battery. do you have a diagram, instructions or picture of the interlock cable and how to adjust that or replace it. This would be very helpful. We have to engage the emergency brake to keep the car from rolling the park poition on will not hold the car in place are these related to the cable in the shifter if so is that the interlock cable?

So the shifter isn't actually in park? YOur first sentence said the shifter is in park but last sentence said it was not.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the shifter is in park.

You said you have to use the emergency brake because it's not in park?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have to use the emergency brake, but the shifter still goes into the park position.

If you have to use the emergency brake to prevent the car from rolling then it's not in park and that is why the key won't come out.

There are two directions you can go from here. With the vehicle properly supported you can remove the shift cable at the trans and see if it will go into park correctly by hand. If not then the problem is in the trans.

The other option would be to disassemble the center console to access the shifter and it may also need to be removed. It needs to be checked for anything foreign in it blocking movement and also for mechanical damage. Odds are three is either something foreign in the shifter or physical damage preventing it from going into park.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there any instructions and/or pictures that can walk me through these steps to check the shifter.

I'm not able to post directly from the service information due to copyright but here is a video showing removal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the shifter moves through all the gears. So is it possible that this is still the problem?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My understanding is that video is if the shifter is stuck in park. Mine is not stuck.

The video is showing you how to remove the shifter assembly. I understand your problem is not being stuck in park, you're unable to get the trans into park. The video was just to show shifter removal.