Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

Torq coverter is jumpin in and out, 99 2500 24v cummins,

Customer Question

torq coverter is jumpin in and out
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 99 2500 24v cummins
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: cleaning battery post and rerouting wire and yes id like to fix it my self
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: no its good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: hats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

There is a couple of possibilities for this problem. The first possibility is voltage spikes caused by one or both batteries failing or dirty battery cables. The first thing that needs to be done is to load test BOTH batteries and make sure they both pass with similar results. If batteries are good, next thing is to make sure that all 4 battery cables are EXTREMELY clean (Even the eyelets connected to the positive cables) you may need to disassemble or replace the battery cable ends to make sure everything is clean and secure. There should be NO signs of corrosion on any of the cables. If all is good with the batteries and cables, the next thing that needs to be checked is the APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor). It needs to be tested using a scanner that can display live data or using a multimeter directly backprobing the signal wire to the APPS. IF while engine is idling the voltage is fluctuating more than .2 volts the APPS is faulty and will need to be replaced. If that is good, turn off the engine and turn on the key. Slowly depress the accelerator while monitoring the APPS voltage for a smooth transition as the pedal is slowly being depressed until it is on the floor. A pass is a smooth transition with no spikes along the way. Min voltage should be around .5 volts max voltage should be around 4.5 volts.

If the above is all 100% good and you are still having the problem there are two options for repairing this concern.

The first way involves running a new wire from the APPS sensor signal wire directly to the PCM mounted on the right firewall area. The wire gets spliced in at the apps signal wire and ran to the PCM. The APPS circuit from the ECM to the PCM is eliminated and the new wire will supply the PCM with a direct connection to the PCM.

The second way involves installing what is called an "APPS Noise Isolator" This is a capacitor that is available at BD Diesel online. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a link to this part.

I see that you say hello so I'm cutting this post a bit short. I'll post the link on my next reply...

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Here is a link to the APPS Noise Isolator. This does a good job of eliminating the torque converter cutting in and out at certain speeds. It does have a slight side effect of delaying torque converter lockup slightly.

Either fix (running a new wire or APPS Noise Isolator) does a good job of eliminating the condition...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.