Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

I am looking throttle unlock relay d100 5.2, 90000, i bought

Customer Question

i am looking for a throttle unlock relay for 1989 d100 5.2
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 90000, i bought the truck and have not been able to get it started. i cleaned the fuel lines. if i pour gas into the tbi it will try to start but will not continue running
JA: What is the model of your '88000 Dodge?
Customer: 1989
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have replaced the the auto shut down relay and bought a used tbi. when trying to start it i am getting gas from the ingectors but it will not start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: how hard is it to just put a carburetor on it and do away with the tbi crap
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

There is no such thing as a throttle unlock relay on an 89 D100.

From what you are describing, you may need an in -tank fuel pump. I know you said you do see fuel from the injectors but that may not be enough fuel as you stated pouring gas down the tbi gets it started but won't stay running.

At this time, I recommend to run a fuel pressure test to see what the fuel pressure is. IF the pressure is less than 13 psi your fuel pump may be faulty and not supplying enough pressure.. If you need help with the fuel pressure test, let me know, I'll be glad to step you through the procedure...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,