Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have 2014 Jeep Compass. Electronic throttle control light

Customer Question

I have 2014 Jeep Compass. Electronic throttle control light comes on when going up hill and giving it heavier throttle. The check engine light came on but went back off. Feels like a pause or hesitation when hitting gas peddle and light flashes
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: It has flickered on a few times. No issues until today when it feels like it hesitates when hitting gas peddle.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was driving to work. I haven't tried anything yet. I checked gas cap and it doesn't feel right. It feels like it is stripped when you tighten it. I'm not sure if the gas cap would have anything to do with my issue
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not right now. It just started today. I've never had any issues before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Have you had it scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the issue just started this morning driving to work
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It hesitates when starting up a hill or when giving heavier acceleration. The electronic ignition light has flashed and feels like a hesitation or loss of power. The check engine light came on and when I turned it off and back on the check engine light went off
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

How many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
80,000 miles
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like you have a problem with the throttle body. You would need to scan for codes. If the lights are coming on that means there will be codes stored.

Looks like you should be covered under factory powertrain warranty. 5year/100k miles

I would bring it to a Jeep dealership it should be covered.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please rate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan