cwalkerjr21, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

06 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 auto, on freeway cruise fine

Customer Question

06 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 auto, on freeway cruise fine stopped for stretch break and re-enter freeway set cruise and it "ran wild". Jumped to 80 and increasing, tapped brake to stop it, retried with same results. Replaced on/off, set switch and now when turn on cruise light comes on but when try to set it goes off. Any ideas?
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Can not even use cruise now as it goes "off" when try to "set" and yes have checked fuses.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took to friends garage shop, pro, changed module, changed on/off switch myself. Simple on that, plug and play.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am confused as to why it started doing it to begin with when working fine and 20 minutes of break and then acting up. Am living on limited budget, retired, and trying to repair as inexpensive as possible.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, nothing like a possessed vehicle to start off your 4th of july weekend. Sounds to me like your problem is actually inside the buttons. You have a decel/coast button and a set/accel button. Sounds to me like when you press the set button it was sticking down causing it to be crazy and keep going faster. You can try rebooting the system by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and touching the cables together for 5 minutes. This will discharge and reboot the computer system. But if I had to guess I would say that is not likely to work. The buttons need to be replaced and that will take care of the issue. I have seen this before and it does happen from time to time.

You are looking at 15 per side on the switches cost. If a shop does it they charge 0.4 hours of labor. I have included the steps from the manual if you want to try it yourself. Thanks buddy and good luck. Have a great 4th of july!