bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

I have only single clicking noise when I turn key, It is

Customer Question

I have only single clicking noise when I turn key
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It is truck and it is in park... It did this for a couple of days but would finally start now nothing
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2000 ram 3500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I need to fix myself..i have cleaned terminals checked wires to started
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that it did this two or three times before it got to this point I check batteries the seem to be okay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

sounds like you have a dead starter, BUT FIRST have you tested BOTH batteries and the cables?

on a 16 year old truck especially the cummins the cables were known to "wear" and create a lot of resistance, a single "click" is the starter solenoid engaging BUT there may not be enough amperage available to turn over the engine, 99 times out of 100 it's a dead starter but i like to verify there is good battery voltage available at the starter as well.

using a volt meter verify the battery voltage doesn't drop below 10 volts IN START if it does check the cables and batteries if NOT start with replacing teh starter, DON't forget to verify the ground cables are intact and in good condition

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked cables then noticed that steering wheel lock is not working could that be the problem
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

like i said a single CLICK means the starter is getting the signal and either the solenoid has failed, the motor portion has a dead spot or there is a poor connection, assuming you checked the cables WITH A VOLTMETER(preferably) and didn't just do a visual inspection, the starter has failed, your wheel lock feature only locks the wheel NOTHING else, and only locks the wheel in 1 spot (with an airbag we had to strengthen the column greatly and the "wheel lock" is low on the "totem pole" and was eliminated a few model years later

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did check with volt meter it only drop a little when I turn key however I now don't have single click at all so you think starter is problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Volts are 12.57
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

the starter only has 2 wires a signal from the ignition switch (battery power in START ONLY) and full battery power directly from the battery if you have both the starter is dead, remember you have a 16 year old truck and the starter is a very high demand part i have replaced starters on far younger vehicles.

the test for a bad starter is very easy, battery power at teh heavy red battery terminal and battery power at the smaller wire IN START ONLY, got both replace the starter with a good quality reman or better yet new one and re test

Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

following up to see if you still need assistance