Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

CA smog test requires check engine light be functioning and

Customer Question

CA smog test requires check engine light be functioning for test and being diy, need to know where located in 96 Dodge Caravan
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Smog tester said CE light not functioning and possibly needs replacing bulb to complete test...unknown location of CE light?
JA: What year is your Caravan?
Customer: 96 dodge caravan se..3.3l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, if not too complicated..is ce lightbulb in upper dash, have Dodge manual..butc
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, except manual mentioned possible air bag closeness and neg.battery cable should be disconnected...requiring cmptr. reset?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

The check engine light is in the instrument cluster. It's not terribly difficult to replace the bulb, but the cluster will need to come out to change it.

You should be able to disconnect the battery to keep the air bag from acting up while you remove it, and you won't need to worry about resetting the computer. You will however need to drive the vehicle for about 50-60 miles to reset the readiness monitors before having it emissions tested again or it will fail the test.

Let me see if I have a good diagram showing how to remove the cluster.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

It looks like Dodge doesn't publish much when it comes to replacing the instrument cluster:

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** manual showed diagrams/pictures of what you just related, so should be able to handle bulb replacement
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

You must have a better manual than I have. Alldata and Motor only give me a brief description of what to do. It seems like more and more anything past 1999 just isn't available on AllData.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

You might also check fuse #3 in the check engine circuit before pulling it apart:

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I wanted to see if you need any more help with this one.

Please let me know if you do.

Don't forget to rate if you no longer need assistance.