Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I drive a 98 Avenger and in an attempt to replace the

Customer Question

I drive a 98 Avenger and in an attempt to replace the cylinders I have both damaged the handle itself to the point where I can no longer put a lock in there and also have activated the anti-theft system and my car will no longer allow me to turn my key. Is there anything I can do to be able to start my car again?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The car is in park and the wheel is not locked
JA: What year is your Avenger?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried disconnecting the battery, locking and unlocking the car while I am inside, unplugging and plugging in both the ignition and the anti-theft fuses. Nothing worked
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you replaced the key lock cylinder and keys?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I attempted to but was unsuccessful because I found that the actual door handle was broken and I am now unable to clip in the new cylinder
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

ok, so this is the door lock cylinder, not the igniton lock cylinder,correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was the door cylinder that I was unable to replace but now I cannot turn my key in the ignition cylinder due to the security system being activated. I know that it is normally deactivated by locking and unlocking the car with my keys or a fob but since I do not have lock cylinders on my car I wondered if there was another way to bypass the security system.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

do you have the key fob?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I just recently bought the car and there was no fob.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

and both the drivers and the passenger side locks are out?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both sides have bro***** *****dles on them.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 months ago.

then you cannot over ride the system, the only 2 ways to do this is with the fob, or by locking and unlocking the drivers or passenger side with the out side key cylinders, can yo get new handles and replace the lock cylinders?