-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

I have a 2005 Ram 2500, the A/C condenser fan runs at will.

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a 2005 Ram 2500, the A/C condenser fan runs at will. That means it runs on and off without the A/C on. The A/C clutch doesn't kick on at all times when the A/C is on. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I use my remote to unlock the doors, the wipers will cycle once, and the other day the wipers cycled once while I was driving on the highway with the wiper switch off. I have been suspecting it was the FCM, but wanted to be sure.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: No problem with wiper motor, the wipers work, but the delay function works intermittant.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had the computer reflashed by a guy my buddy, who owns a repair shop uses. Didn't make a difference. The condenser fan relay is being energized intermittantly without the A/C being on. If I pull the relay, I'll get a check engine light with a cond. fan code.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Can I get your VIN number to pull up a wiring diagram for the fan so we can see what's going on?

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, one minute
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the VIN!!

I have the wiring diagram attached.. Ok since you said the fan is coming on at random times then you will need to remove the condenser fan relay when it comes on and see if pins 85 has a ground from the PCM and if 86 has 12v from fuse 12. This will tell us if the PCM is commanding it on or you have a shorted TIPM which is telling it to come on.. Also it would help to know what codes the TIPM has by connecting a scantool to retrieve the codes..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't do it today, have an appointment. When I did check the relay socket last year, it was being commanded by the PCM to energize.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Ok if the PCM is sending the ground to pin 85 then you will need a scantool to see what the high side pressure is on the transducer. If you disconnect the high side presure transducer will the fan shut off?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Brad,
I've been away and will look at the vehicle over the holiday weekend.