Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

06 Charger - ETC light came on once - car seems to warm up

Customer Question

06 Charger - ETC light came on once - car seems to warm up faster than normal.
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: 10 years old and have not checked bulbs
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 charger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not tried anything yet - going to be taking trip from NorCal to SouthernCal and was worried since light came on. If I know what is wrong I can get it fixed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no - just had tune-up at 105K
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Dan here, I am an ASE master tech, glad to help you with this.

The ETC is electronic throttle control, if the light came one, it means there is a problem in the drive by wire system. You are going to need a shop to scan the codes so they can properly diagnose, could be a throttle body problem, pretty common on this vehicle.

With the car warming up faster than normal, that sounds like a stuck thermostat. Could be other things as well, but the thermostat would be the first thing to check.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, please rate the answer and it would be appreciated. Thanks.