Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Wont start - no check engine light on, jumped it, started

Customer Question

wont start - no check engine light on, jumped it , started fine - but when you turn it off, won't come back on - clicks when you turn the key, lights work etc...just wont turn over - have had to jump it twice to get it started, once started, runs just fine
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: car is in park - dont think it has a wheel lock feature
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2013 avenger sxt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the battery charge - seems to be fine - drove it 100 miles after jump, still wont start after turning off - yes, Id like to fix it myself - factory warranty ran out 700 miles ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I assume you have a volt meter? if so, hook direct to the battery terminals. Try to crank when it clicks, hold key to "start" and read voltage . If under 10 volts? the battery is weak, I realize you can read 12 volts but it is about amps, You may have a 12 volt surface charge, enough to power lights etc etc but not enough battery amps to crank as the starter draws high amps. If above 10 volts and battery load test does pass like this? the next thing would be the starter, It is requiring extra amps from a jump for it to crank as the starter itslef is going bad, jumping is hitting with higher amps and most times will work as it is till one day a jump will not work