Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My dodge Cummins motor will start but it immediately shuts

Customer Question

My dodge Cummins motor will start but it immediately shuts itself down
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 98 ram
JA: What year is your Ram?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes not
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It will start and then immediately shut down this is diesel Cummings motor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

How many miles om it?

is there a check engine light on dash ?

Can You get a scan a get me some fault codes ?

Thanks

We need to check:

1-Check this shut fuel shut off solenoid relay ,? I have sent you diagram location link

2- check supply fuel pressure to the injector pump from your lift pump

3- Fuel cutoff solenoid

I have included locations and diagrams & fuel specs for your review

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996 Dodge or Ram Truck 2500 4x4 Pickup L6-359 5.9L DSL Turbo

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

DESCRIPTION The fuel shutdown solenoid and fuel shutdown solenoid relay are not controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Zoom and Print Options

Fuel System Components

Zoom and Print Options

Electronic Components

The fuel shutdown (shut-off) solenoid is used to electrically shut off the diesel fuel supply to the high-pressure fuel injection pump. The solenoid is mounted to the side of the pump and is connected to the pump with a lever (see figures above). The solenoid controls starting and stopping of the engine regardless of the position of the accelerator pedal.

Zoom and Print Options

Fuel Shutdown Solenoid Positions

OPERATION
When the ignition switch is OFF, the solenoid plunger is spring loaded (down) in the shutdown position and fuel is shut off to the injection pump.

Two different coils are located within the solenoid and a three-wire pigtail wire harness is attached to the solenoid.

When the ignition switch is turned to the CRANK (starter engaged) position, high-amperage current (approximately 40 amps at 12 volts) is supplied to one of the coils in the shutdown solenoid from the fuel shutdown solenoid relay. This high-amperage current allows the solenoid shaft to pull up on the injection pump lever. The injection pump shutdown lever is then positioned to the RUN position.

When the ignition key is released to the ON position, a low-amperage current is supplied to the other coil in the solenoid. This is used to hold the solenoid shaft in the UP position. Accelerator pedal position then controls fuel lever control for fuel control at the injection pump.

Zoom and Print Options

Fuel Heater Relay

Voltage to operate the solenoid is supplied from the ignition switch and through the fuel shutdown solenoid relay (also refer to Fuel Shutdown Solenoid Relay).

If the shutdown solenoid is being replaced, its shaft length must be adjusted.

1996 Dodge or Ram Truck 2500 4x4 Pickup L6-359 5.9L DSL Turbo Save Article Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only Fuel Transfer (Lift) Pump Pressure
At rated speed (2500 rpm) ....................... 172 - 207 kPa (25 - 30 psi)Fuel Injector "Pop Off" Pressure
Using injector tester ................................. 26,252 kPa (3822 psi)Fuel Pressure Drop
Across fuel filter ................................... 35 kPa (5 psi) maximum

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I will check every thing u talked about. One thing my truck is a 98 not a 96 will this make a difference?

yes sir , it is 5.9 liter diesel ,same engine in 96 and 98 ,so we good :)

I m online tomorrow from 10 am till 12 pm

so just let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech