Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

20 fuse keeps blowing 2004 dodge ram1500, no, 1500 4.7L,

Customer Question

20 fuse keeps blowing 2004 dodge ram1500
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?
Customer: 1500 4.7L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i have reduce the amperage on the 28 fuse and 53 fuse and increased in on the 20 fuse so i could at least get it home
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you out. Tell me does the fuse blow immediately or does it take a while?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sometimes both
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sometimes, most of the time it will do it while im driving.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok thanks. I'll have to pull up the wiring diagram when I get home later today and see what circuit(s) that fuse powers. Is that ok?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know it is the ignition fuse...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I am home and have researched the diagram. Fuse 20 supplies voltage to the ignition switch. Then from the switch it goes to the instrument cluster, power door locks, overhead console, automatic day/night mirror, ac, and airbag fuses. I would look under the dash at the wiring harness coming from the big bulkhead connector and up the steering column to the ignition switch. Look around the park brake pedal. I remember seeing issues there where the park brake pedal mechanism can rub against the harness and short it out. Take a look and let me know if you find anything.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anything yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Chris, just received this so I will let you know what I discover.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Ok, sounds good. Let me know what you find when you get a chance.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There doesn't appear to be any rubbing of the wire harness around the parking brake pedal...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have noticed some of the time that the fuse blows out on me is when I am braking.. sometimes it does it just sitting idle. Sometimes it does it while I'm driving.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hmmm, inspect the wiring running up the steering column and up by the ignition switch.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I inspected the wiring running up to the steering column. I didn't see anything loose or frayed. Is that what I should be expecting to see? something that is grounding out and causing the fuse to blow?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

yes. It may be subtle so look closely. If you cannot find it, then you may want to spend some money on a diagnosis from an auto electrical shop or the dealer. They have special short finder meters/tools to help locate the source of the short.

Chris