Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2008 Dodge Avenger keeps sound horn at random...won't stop

Customer Question

2008 Dodge Avenger keeps sound horn at random...won't stop unless I hit panic button on key fob. Horn often fails to work when touched. Dealer had no Idea how to fix it
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: Tried taking battery out of fob and using different fob too
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wanted my mechanic to fix it...he just doesn't know where to start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no...just horn issue...very embarrassing at traffic light
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you also saying here that the horn pad does not work when the horn pad is pressed?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
horn pad doesn't work most of the time...will work at random.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

When the horn goes off on its own is it like the alarm sound with an off/on honk or a solid honk or no pattern to the honk?

I have seen the horn pads fail internally and cause this here.The outside temp fluctuations make the pad contacts shrink and expand and cause the pad to act up causing the horn to go off on its own as well as not working when the horn is pressed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What should I try first?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The first thing I would try is disconnect the horn pad.Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?