Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Theres a few things... the etc light came on all of sudden.

Customer Question

Theres a few things... the etc light came on all of sudden. just got the car from a car dealer. The temperature stayed at cold today (first time I noticed). It also has a misfire error code p0303 i believe
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: Yes. It turns off while driving.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2007 dodge charger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am hoping to fix it myself. I replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coil #3
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I noticed a coolant leak coming from the front under the car. The ect light and the tempareture gauge stayed cold at the same time. Car has only stalled when I am coming to a stop on the free way which is a few minutes after I turn it on in the morning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The etc light being on means that there is a trouble code stored, you need a scan tool able to read the codes to diagnose this. The misfire on 3 could be an injector, low compression, or a ecm problem. Or a problem in the wiring harness. You could use the scan tool and look under live misfire data, you then could swap injectors and see if the misfire follows. You could have a bad driver in the computer for injector pulse on cylinder 3. You need to check injector pulse with a noid light.The misfire code could be related to the etc light. The computer is trying to protect the cats from damage by reducing throttle angles.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You also need to verify that you are getting voltage to the coil

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see, appreciate the info. What is the recommendable first step, or how I should I go about diagnosing this. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

First step is having access to a scan tool, like a snap-on or similar.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These are the 3 codes I got p0303, p0457, p0456
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The last two codes you have are evap codes and probably not related to the misfire.

You are going to need to diagnose that misfire code first. Check the injector pulse, the injector may also be clogged. Check compression and make sure you are getting spark on cylinder 3.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could you please elaborate on that process. I'm a child when it comes to mechanics.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Do this first, clear the codes, swap injector 3 with another injector, go drive it, If the P0303 changes to a different cylinder, then you have a bad injector.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan