Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I replaced my ac compressor clutch with a new one. I

Customer Question

I replaced my ac compressor clutch with a new one. I attempted to put the serpentine belt back on but now it does not seem long enough. Last week I had my truck in the shop and they replaced the tensioner. Any ideas ? I really need to get on the road.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

These are the diagrams you need for routing

yours will be the first one with a/c

first diagram is with a/c

2nd without a/c

007 Dodge or Ram Truck RAM 3500 Truck 4WD L6-5.9L DSL Turbo VIN C

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Drive Belt

Serpentine Belt

Without AC

PART # ***** $54.00

With AC

PART # ***** $49.85

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Replace Serpentine Belt

0.8 hrs labor

also the sent you the part numbers for the belt

so you can cross reference if you get one at a local auto parts store, just gave him this part # ***** belt, he should give you correct one

Hope I was helpfull to you , Please let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive Rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open For You to Come Back and ask me any Follow up Questions you may have on this issue Even after you Rate Me.

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could they have put the wrong tensioner and that is causing the belt to be to tight ?

yes they could have , it should fit if you have correct belt

This what yours should look like

dirgard the other pictures

what did they install belt themselves when tensioner was installed ,if you dont mind me asking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was a professional diesel shop. The truck was making a noise I took it in they diagnosed the tensioner was bad. They replaced it with part number 38285. When they replaced tensioner belt was so tight belt was ridding off ac pulley so they told me the compressor was bad. I am not to sure about this shop.

let me check that number , if i can

do you know where they bought from probably not

be right back

That part number # ***** is for the belt tensioner , not the belt itself

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct the tensioner they replaced. My belt I had on there when I took it in was basically brand new.

if tensioner is installed correctly and you installed the a/c clutch and the clutch the free and a/c bulley is free . the belt should get on there

did you purchase new belt or using the one was on there before

i mean either belt is wrong or the routing of the belt is wrong or you still have a pulley that is locked up other than the a/c clutch causing the belt to come off

the only thing i can think of in this situation

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used the old belt that was on there. I free hand spun all pulleys and none had any resistance. Should I buy a new belt ? How do I install it ? Also what is the diy on the clutch and pulley for ac compressor ?
2007 Dodge or Ram Truck RAM 3500 Truck 4WD L6-5.9L DSL Turbo VIN C Save Article Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) OnlyDENSO A/C COMPRESSORNOTE: The compressor clutch assembly can be serviced with the refrigerant system fully-charged.NOTE: Typical A/C compressor and clutch assembly shown in illustrations.1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.2. Remove the accessory drive belt.3. Disconnect the engine wire harness from the compressor clutch field coil connector (1) located on the top of the A/C compressor (5).4. Remove the bolts that secure the A/C compressor to the engine and support the A/C compressor.5. Carefully remove the compressor clutch field coil connector and wire lead from the connector bracket (2).6. Remove the compressor shaft bolt (3). A band-type oil filter wrench or a strap wrench may be used to hold the clutch plate (4) from rotating during bolt removal.CAUTION: Do not pry between the clutch plate and the pulley and bearing assembly to remove the clutch plate from the compressor shaft as this may damage the clutch plate.NOTE: Use care not to lose any clutch shim(s) during removal of the clutch plate, as they may be reused during the clutch plate installation process.
7. Tap the clutch plate (2) lightly with a plastic mallet to release it from the splines on the compressor shaft (1) and remove the clutch plate and shim(s) (3).8. Using Snap Ring Pliers 9764 or equivalent (1), remove the snap ring (2) that secures the pulley and bearing assembly (3) to the front of the A/C compressor and remove the pulley and bearing assembly.9. Using Snap Ring Pliers 9764 or equivalent (1), remove the snap ring (4) that secures the compressor clutch field coil (2) to the front of the A/C compressor (3) and remove the field coil.

i dont have any procedure on the belt , they just dont list one , unfortunately , but just follow the diagram i sent you ,and if you look at the tensioner there is a square place where you insert the 1/2 inch ratchet and you pull on tensioner so you can install the belt than let go when in position

good luck

let me know if you need anything else

please remmber to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I rate u will I be able to come back and look at the images u have referenced me to ? Also do u think I need to get a new belt ?
Yea sure , u come back anytime after you rate , even all the diagrams will stay for you, and yes please go get a new belt , so we can eliminate that possibility
I m actually online all day tommorow and tonight another 2 hrs .Chad
You can come back and post a reply and I will see it just like now . The post will stay open for you for follow ups on that issue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok Thank u

you welcome

let me know

please dont forget to rate before you exit since that is how we get compensated

Chad(aka-Customer