Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

I have a 1990 dodge w150 with the 318, yesterday I was

Customer Question

Hello Chris, I have a 1990 dodge w150 with the 318, yesterday I was driving the truck and the upper radiator hose decided it wanted to start leaking, and soaked everything under the hood in coolant, well after everything cooled down I was able to loosen the clamp and push the hose down more. I went to start the truck it fired right up ran for about 2 minutes and shut off, went to start it again it ran for 2 minutes and shut off. I decided to try it again and it just cranked and fired a little
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome back. Did coolant get sprayed onto the distributor and or ignition coil?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The distributor was dry when I pulled the cap, I went ahead and replaced the coil
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Did coolant spray onto the PCM or any other electrical connectors?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It did, I replaced the Pcm as well. My problem is I'm only getting power to the coil for 2 seconds when I turn the key on, when I go to crank it I do not have any power to the coil then
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a way to check the pick up in the distributor?? I replaced it as well
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

It is normal for you to get power at the coil for 2 seconds at key on, but it should return when you crank the engine, if the PCM sees the crank sensor sends a valid signal. I wonder if any codes are being set. Try this: Cycle the ignition key 3 times and see if the check engine light flashes a code out. If it does, count the first set of flashes, (which will be the first digit of the code), then count the second set of flashes (second digit). So in other words turn the key on/off/on/off/on. Then watch the light. Let me know if you get a code.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you check the hallefect switch in the distributor?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hall Effect Sensor Testing

To test a Hall Effect Sensor you will need an accurate DC Voltmeter set to the 20 Volt scale.

1. With the sensor plugged in insert a T-pin in the signal wire cavity of the sensor plug.

2. Bar the engine over or rotate the shaft the sensor is sensing.

3. Watch the voltmeter.

4. As it rotates the signal voltage should go back and forth from low voltage to the specified voltage sent to the sensor. Some Crankshaft and Camshaft Tone Wheels have an ODD Notch to signal an engine position.

5. If there is no signal, unplug the sensor and check for source voltage at the connector.

6. Check the ground by powering one meter lead and testing for ground with the other.

7. If the power and ground are good, replace the sensor.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

How's it going with the truck?

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Any luck?