Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Changed out starter, batter is good, engine will not turn

Customer Question

changed out starter, batter is good, engine will not turn over
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: engine check light had just came on went off after truck was turned off, next day would not start
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 ram*****
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes if possible, new starter today that's all so far batter has been check and no dead cells
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope nothing else I can think of it was running fine before it was turn off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Are you planning to diagnose and fix this yourself?

Do you own a test light or volt meter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to both
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a fluke meter

Super, here is your start diagram.

Step one, is ground when trying to start pin is powered all the time. Verify pin 85 is powered when trying to start.

See if pin 86 is ground when trying to start. This comes from the computer if the theft system and park neutral switch are in order.

Turn the key on and jump a wire from pin 30 to 87 briefly, it should crank. If there is not theft system issue or other concern it should also start.

Let me know these results.

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.