Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Sometimes my truck will idle and just shut off sometimes

Customer Question

Sometimes my truck will idle and just shut off sometimes it's difficult to start sometimes it's easy to start is a Dodge Ram 1500 2004
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: It has a hundred and 93 it has a 5.7 liter engine
JA: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?
Customer: SLT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm trying to fix it myself I change the camshaft sensor and problem still exists
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No basically that's the only problem I ever have with it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

You need to scan for codes and let me know what you find. I would look at the fuel pressure regulator for the long crank issue. For the engine stalling problem I would look at the egr valve. This will usually set a code. the regulator will not set a code.

Cam sensors can also cause this but it looks like you already replaced it.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's great mr. Dan but I don't have any Codes on the truck this was baffling me.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Check the fuel pressure regulator, hook up a fuel pressure gauge and turn the key on. You may have a problem the the fuel pump and regulator.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But why sometimes I can drive the truck a full day with no problems and other times I just turn the key it will start up but five minutes later it was shut down
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I personally have a 2004 durango 5.7 hemi, my truck did the same thing. I replaced the EGR valve and it has not happened since.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay mr. Dan I would try that and see what happens if it has been a pleasure talking to you and thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome and good luck with your truck!

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Please rate the answer and it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do mr. Dan
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mr Dan this is Albert again with the Dodge Ram 1500 that won't start well I got it to start but after five to ten minutes is cutting out again or when I put it in gear the code reading camshaft sensor short in wiring or contaminated wiring 2 camshaft sensor that's what the reading say
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

What is the p code number you are getting?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mr. Dan try to hook up my scanner but now there is no code reading at this time waiting for check engine light to come back on it has me baffled but I am going to check coil wire's see if any has corroded
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Ok let me know when you get the codes, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks mr. Dan I will I'll try again tomorrow
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good a.fternoon mr. Dan this is Albert with the Dodge Ram 1500 I scan the code and it's reading PO300
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Multiple cylinder misfire. There are a few things that can cause this. You need to narrow it down as to which cylinders are misfiring.

You need a scan tool capable of reading live data. You need to record some live data with the scan tool.

I need to see some data in order to help you. Check long and short term fuel trims.

Could be a coil pack or ecm issue, could be an injector issue, could be an intake or vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where do I start at
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Impossible to diagnose this without the proper scan tool. You can use the tool to see live misfire data, it shows you which cylinders are missing.

With no scan tool we are only guessing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where can I find a scan tool at is it at your nearest Pep Boys or AutoZone
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

No, those are just code readers. You need a shop quality scan tool.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay so I need to get it at the Dodge dealer correct
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Not necessarily a Dodge dealer, most auto repair shops will have a scanner that will work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay mr. Dan I know a couple of shop that I need to try will let you know as soon as I know anything
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mr. Dan I would like to thank you for everything I'll see if I can get the truck to the shop I would love her to have to fix it myself
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

your welcome, this question will time out it 2 days so we have some time but not much.