rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1996 Plymouth Breeze which is in very good working

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Plymouth Breeze which is in very good working order. Except that the odometer and tachometer have a mind of their own (linked). Sometimes off, sometimes on. I have asked when I have had it in for service and no one can seem to find the problem. Fuses are all in good working order and no one can seem to find a short. I am about to go on a trip that has mileage specific directions. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I can get it fixed?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This is an indication of the instrument cluster beginning to fail. Before replacing it, have it tested first with a scan tool, this will confirm it.

Thanks, Ron