Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

99 Durango had a new alternator installed a month ago - it

Customer Question

99 Durango had a new alternator installed a month ago - it was squealing took it back - dealer said it was bad and replaced it - went to pick it up and had to get a jump start - thought maybe they left hood up and drained battery - bought it home and charged it - starts and immediately shuts off - batterry is good started multiple times but it just keeps shutting off
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: new battery - guage is good - wondering if dealer missed something replacing alternator
JA: What year is your Durango?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: after paying 500+ for a new alternator and then taking it back and supposedly they fixed it - don't really want to fix myself but afraid to take it back
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and I will post back with your reply ASAP

you need a voltage drop test , to check for drainage of battery, now a bad altenator will cause battery drainage

but proper way, is to test each fused circuit for amp draw , and see which circuit is staying on after switch is off , that is after that the battery is confirmed good and the altenator does not have an open diode causing battery drainage

now if dealer installed altenator wrong, possibility if he left a ground loose and alternator not charging .

Go back to dealer and ask him to perform a voltage drop test since you feel you have a battery drain and make sure that this altenator was installed correctly , if you did not have a problem before replacing it, if the altenator was not charging and replaced it than it should work, unless the issue was not altenator and battery drainage problem is caused by something else and the dealer misdiagnosed the problem

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka - Jhook1398 )