Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello again.

Sorry for the delay. Had to run out on a service call.

What do you got going on with this one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
last fall car would hardly run. Stall, no start, poor performance, put in a hella aftermarket crank sensor and ran this Spring customer complained about car going flat accelerating on Hills. I put in a factory crank sensor and couldn't hardly get the car out of the stall. Hard starting, and or no start. Step on throttle and car would die. Sit for 2 hours came back and then it ran like a million dollars. Now today it has a intermittent RPM drop and power loss but never has quit. Fuel pressure stays about 48 pounds no matter what.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when it cranks and doesn't start you would swear it jumped the timing chain spit and fart and backfire.

You got an adapter to hook your scan tool to it?

Got an exhaust backpressure tester?

Have you checked it for vacuum leaks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No,no and yes. Never a check eng lite. 20 minutes ago you acted like I shouldn't even trust it out the driveway. Now I'd almost take off for anywhere the way it's running.

Hmm sounds like a cold solder joint somewhere... possibly in the pcm or one of the sensors.

Sure would be nice if we could see the sensor data though.

Is the engine wiring harness falling apart?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Car is actually about a 9 of 10. Never seen salt. Suspect heat myself but no ryme or reason as to what temp it acts up at. Had a sc400 that acted funky like this somewhat and I fixed that with 2 used distributors

The condition of the car isnt so much the issue, They used a poor quality wiring on these that doesnt hold up well to heat. The insulation gets brittle and cracks and causes shorts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
understand. Just my experience with European cars has been salt and moisture intrusion in the harness. Anyway in my European adapters and think I do have that old big round adapter. Which sensor data should I zero in on.

Start by checking all the modules for codes. Let me know if you have any.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can't get my solus to link up. Waiting for the cables for my net scanner to get here.
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked your power and grounds on the ECM? If not that would be my next step. A solus should work on it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's the scanner been acting up lately. Couldn't link to a Ford the other day either. Thanks cables are getting bad but my Snap-on man trying to upgrade me.

Eh.. not a terrible idea. The solus was a great tool 10 or 20 years ago but its getting dated.

I guess when your new scanner gets there check it and let me know. Youre gonna want codes on this one if you dont think its wiring.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
finally got the adapter to go between my scanner and the Mercedes adapter. Now the issue is the door tag says it is a 1995 with a 5 liter. The tag on the computer says it is a 1998 with a 6 liter WTf????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ordered a used processor. I am assuming because of the age of the vehicle that programming is not required. Correct?