Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2001 Dodge Viper R/T with 11.00 miles, bought new.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2001 Dodge Viper R/T with 11.00 miles, bought new. Has been sitting for over 5 + years in a car port with cover over it and semi exposed to Mass weather, dead battery. I had been working on the west coast during this time and now I'm back. I replaced the battery, motor turns over, no accessories will work except that yesterday the radio came on. Is there a trick to get it started? Changed fuel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the radio did not come on at first but is now coming on I suspect this is an issue with a corroded connection.Weather and sitting can cause corrosion with ground cables and connections and I have even seen it cause issues with the electronic ignition switch contacts internally in some cases and cause an issue like this here.

I would start with checking ground connections from the battery to the engine and body for any issues.If these are o.k. I would have the electronic ignition switch tested as well as power connection feeds to the alternator,starter and fuse panels to see if any cable issues are found or connection faults being loose or corroded.One of these is the most common cause for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Done all that and all is fine. Now I've been told that there is a switch in the trunk area that needs to be found and it resets the computer???? since the radio has come on no time changes or station changes can be done so I think that some sort of code has to be done with the radio??????? Well, I'm going out now to burn some incense, do some chants, sing "Stairway to Heaven" and check the trunk. Please try to give me another clue? Thanks, Cathy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

It does sound like you need the radio code from the dealer in order for the radio to operate.In some cases they may not charge for this code if you show them proof of ownership and a photo ID.

I havent heard of a switch in the trunk area myself to reset the system.

Have you had fault codes read out in all computers using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in this model?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Device used to scan for error codes says "no codes. No switch found in trunk, as I expected. Tomorrow I'm buying a new enclosed car trailer to take it to a mechanic that was referred to me. I've met him and he said that he has worked on Vipers and believes that he can get it running. I'm getting ready to leave on tour with my 2 modified pulling tractors. I drive "LADY RENEGADE" 454, 800hp and my other tractor "WATCH THIS TRICK" alcohol hemi driven by my partner, 2015 CT state champion. I'm a female gear head and know alot about engines. The Viper has totally run me dry of ideas to get it started. Can you please try picking your brain and maybe outside resources to help me again? This is so frustrating. Thanks alot, Cathy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Those sound like some fun models to operate that you have there.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.If you want I can always open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist with this further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Pete. I'd really like any further info from others if you can get it. Didn't get the trailer to haul the Viper off. Busy tracking down a cam shaft for the new hemi that I'm building and found what I needed. X-rays of the one I have showed some stress cracks and I'm not in the mood to replace another new block. I checked 2 spark plugs in the Viper and they looked perfect. BUT I've ordered a new set to try. Still don't know why all the accessories won't work, windows, lights, interior fan, etc. This car really is a pain in the butt but when it is driven it's lots of fun.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete, no luck changing the spark plugs. I can hear the fuel pump behind me behind the passenger seat so I know that it is working. Where is the fuel filter located and how do I get to it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the fuel filter located and how do I get to it?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The fuel filter on this model mounts inside at the fuel pump assembly.It is only serviced as a complete pump.Even though you hear the pump running if the filter is plugged or if the pump is weak this will cause a no start issue here and would need replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. So how do I access the fuel pump? Is it done from under the car which will need to go on a lift and the diamond plate that covers the whole under side of the car unbolted. I didn't see any panels in the trunk that are removable.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

It is done from under the car.Any under paneling needs removed then the fuel tank is removed to then access the fuel pump module assembly for replacement.There is a special tool to remove and install the fuel pump module unfortunately so this is best done on a hoist with the proper tools.

Thanks Pete