Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 2016 ram 3500 cummings. i went to start the truck

Customer Question

i have a 2016 ram 3500 cummings. i went to start the truck yesterday, after having it parked for approx 7 hours, ran fine prior to that, only to find out that my keyless didn't respond. I opened the truck with the manual key and nothing was responsive, no power anywhere. could jump, horn honked and light flashed, batteries seem to be hot, what could it be.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If any of the batteries were hot this usually indicates one or both have a shorted cell.This will heat up the battery and cause the electrical fault you have with the keyless not working as well as the no start and power issues.I have seen this occur before like this here and since the batteries are tied in together it may only be one at fault heating the other one up.I would have both batteries tested to see which needs replaced for this fault here.Being a 2016 model this should be covered under factory warranty at a dealer and should be able to be diagnosed and repaired at no cost to you.

You can also have a local parts store test each battery as they will do this free of charge.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete