-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van, 5.2, the original computer

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van, 5.2, the original computer failed a while back, the van would just die. I replaced the original with a reman and it worked for a week. They replaced it and it has been fine for many months. Now this morning I noticed the check engine light come on, then it went off. But the last 2 mornings I get to work, driving for about 25 minutes, shut it off, then 10 minutes later go out to start it and it won't start, when it gets cooler with the hood up, then it starts and runs fine. Is it a good guess it is the PCM again failing?? Thank You
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes, cranks like normal and the battery is 3 years old.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I do most all of my own work. I have not tried anything yet but from the symptoms I am wondering if it is that PCM again
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have looked at all of the connections and everything looks good. I have a 137,000 on the Van and has been a good vehicle except for this issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

When it stalls are you loosing spark? Have you replaced the crankshaft sensor that is in the bellhousing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
34;Brad,I replaced that last year before I replaced the computer. But that is how it seems there is no spark. Now this morningI went out after being here an hour and it started right up. Something weird this morning driving in the check engine light come on, 5 minutes later it went off. Usually when the light comes on I have to clear it with the code reader, the code I normally get once in awhile is a small evap leak.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

When it stalls you will need to see if it's spark of fuel psi your loosing. Also it would help greatly if I knew exactly what codes were setting when it stalls..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yesterday when I checked there were no codes. I will have to check to make sure if it is fuel or spark. I think it is No Spark
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

Ok if it's no spark with no codes you will need to see if the coil has a constant 12v on the green/orange wire when cranking, then clip your test light to postive battery and probe the other wire to see if it's pulsing ground. If no then you will need a scantool to see if the crankshaft is counting, if yes then you need to replace the coil..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad