Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I have a 06 dodge charger hemi engine 5.7, i cleaned the

Customer Question

i have a 06 dodge charger hemi engine 5.7 , i cleaned the throttle body and now the car wont accelerate , i press on the pedal and it just doesn't do anything it feels like the car is on limp mode and it feels horrible
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello , can you tell me why you cleaned the throttle body and what code if any did you have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
serpentine belt broke so we removed all the upper parts like air intake and other stuff , i saw the throttle body was dirty and i just went a head and cleaned up , went for a test drive and the car wasn't able to pick up speed , took it back to the shop , cleaned the TB again and the car became even worst.. no acceleration .... mechanic suggested new TB , and i went ahead and bought a used one .. and same problem ... i have p0113 and some others codes im dont remember , car is at the shop .
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok, what may have happened was when you cleaned the throttle body the fluid got inside and shorted the electronics, also i am not that confident in a used one so it may not be helping your issue , do you have a scan tool? is there a re-occurring fault code?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

sorry , missed the p0113

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

p0113 is for the intake temp sensor, it may still be unplugged if you have the air cleaner removed.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

you may want to make sure that is plugged back in as it can affect idle and drive ability

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when i first cleaned i didn't use any chemical , i barely touched the edge of the throtle body because it had dirt . after that , i went for a test drive and the car didn't have any power ,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
everything is plugged on its position as it should
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok, so are you not near the car right now?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

and are you the one working on it or is the shop doing the work and relaying the info to you?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

doesnt matter a whole lot just trying to get as much info to know how and what to advise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im not near the car now , im actually fixing the car myself .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my friends works in a smog test shop he doesn't have idea either of whats going on with the car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok, so what i need is the codes, and also remove the plug for the throttle body and make sure no pins got bent , also make sure there are no air leaks at the gasket. it will be easy to fix, since we know that all that was done was what you stated, please let me know if there is anything you did that you did not tell me, the more info the merrier. i will be on tomorrow as well if you want to pick this up tomorrow.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

you should even be able to see the throttle body move, just turn the key on and press the accelerator down slowly and watch the flap move all the way open see if it moves smooth or not.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yeah we even checked the tb opened and it just wont move at all , with both tb with the old one and used one
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with the car running on park and pressing on the pedal , the tb doesnt open or close , its just stuck and rmps wont go even up and down
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok, the car is in limp mode.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

give me a second.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

do you know how to test wiring and read wiring diagrams?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i dont
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

here is the throttle body wiring. we need to confirm the 5 volt reference, and the positive and negative for the throttle body motor.

so pin 2 should have 5 volts when checking from that pin to ground

pin 3 should have varying voltage depending on the position of the throttle pedal

and pin 5 should have ground when tested to the battery power.

hope this makes sense to you or someone that can help you .

so we are looking to see if there is a bent pin, damaged wire or failed throttle bodies .

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

and if you dont know how to do this stuff or feel comfortable with it then just bite the bullet and get it diagnosed. i feel it will be easy to diagnose but testing is important also there is a slight chance the ecm got damaged when cleaning the throttle body, its slight but possible.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

so let me know what happens tomorrow and if you need more help,
Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, did you get the car taken care of? was my information helpful? is there anything else i can assist with if you are still having issues?