Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Looking help on a 1995 Dodge Dakota that is blowing the 40

Customer Question

Looking for some help on a 1995 Dodge Dakota that is blowing the 40 amp ignition fuse.
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: No electrical work done on recently. Owned the vehicle 10+ years. I'm pretty mechanically adept but this one is new for me.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fix myself: yes. Tried replacing fuse. That worked temporarily. Fuse blew again. Have since checked voltage and continuity on both sides of the fuse circuit.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Battery is showing just over 17.5 volts across the battery and across both sides of ignition circuit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
VIN: 1B7GL23YXSS351413Fuse blows when ignition is in "on" position. Does not require being in "start" position.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that information. One minute while I pull up the diagram

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

This fuse is on the PDC under the hood correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct. Driver's side, near the headlight. Has the large amp fuses, and relays. On the cover, this one reads, "40 AMP IGN. SYS."I watched it cook the last fuse when it was merely in the "on" position. It does not have to be in "start" mode.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Does it say "C" fuse? I believe this powers up the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fuse box cover has no such notation. The individual fuse has "40A", "32v", and "LF" imprinted on it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Try disconnecting the electrical connector going to the ignition switch and see if the fuse no longer blows when turning the key on

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try that tomorrow and let you know. The ignition switch was replaced less than one month ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I disconnect the ignition switch how will I be able to engage the "on" position?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

You can still turn it to the ON position

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I will try that. Thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram for this circuit.

I believe it is the fuse labeled C

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did full diagnosis. Short is in the PCM. Not
related to ignition switch.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Right. I was not suggesting the short was the ignition switch. I was having to disconnect it for diagnosing purposes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!