Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport and

Customer Question

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport and listed on the standard equipment page says that it has a Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System; does this mean that my Jeep should have come with a key fob to lock and unlock the doors?
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: Al I got with the Jeep is 2 normal keys. No remote for the keys.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I guess what I am wondering is, is this something that the Jeep is meant to have and the dealership that I bought the Jeep from lost or did have¿, iris this this something that I can go down to North Point Jeep Dealership here in Winston-Salem NC and have new fobs ordered or programed for my Jeep?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really. That would explain why when I unlock one door the other doors don't unlock or lock back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Good morning,

The sentry key theft system is jeeps name for a chip in the key that sends a signal to the dash to tell the vehicle that it is ok to start. If you were to try to start your jeep with a key that does not have the correct chip it wouldn't run. This would also prevent somone from breaking the lock cylinder and turning the mechanism manually to steal the vehicle. It's called a passive theft system.

So as far as knowing whether it has a receiver built in for a keyless entry remote, the sentry key designation doesn't indicate whether it does.

You could try looking for the keyless module, but that would only tell you whether it is installed and not whether it will actually accept programming.

How much tinkering do you want to do yourself?

You might also be able to call the jeep dealer and give them your vin and they could tell you if the jeep came with keyless entry from the factory.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. The keys that I got with the Jeep are not chipped, is this something that my local dealership can get me, chipped keys?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

They should be if it lists sentry key in the options. What do they look like? Fat plastic part or plain flat metal?