Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Bought starter and new relay. Nothing no click nothing

Customer Question

Bought starter and new relay. Nothing no click nothing conections are good. I short cut to starter works great but car will not run.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 150,00. Starts up perfectly and runs great excellent gas mileage. Just let it sit for a week . i did find a coat hanger next to the door like someone tried to steal it. A wire was attached to a fuse.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2005 sxt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Starter relay bypassed ignition. Starter turns engine nice. But like i text wont run.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Think someone tried to steal it. Coat hanger next to door. Plus a wire attached to ignition fuse i pulled out and through away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Which model is your vehicle? All that came through was SXT- the SXT trim level was available on the Neon, Stratus, Caravan, and Magnum in 2005 so I don't want to guess and give bad advice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Ok. First check fuse #9 in the under hood fuse box. Then check the starter motor relay- also in the under hood fuse box- for 12 volts at pin 30.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will do after work 30 relay.fuse 9. I did xheck all the fuses were good.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Also, check for 12 volts at the large (usually red) wire to the starter.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pin 30 not getting anything
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scratch that pin 30 gets 12v. Im thinking has something to do with my key. It has something in it to keep car running amagnet or some thing
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Your question dropped to my timed out list for lack of response.

So 12 volts at the pin 30 is a good sign. Now, when you turn the key to the crank position it should send 12 volts to pin 85 of the relay which then sends 12 volts and 40 amps to pin 87 and down to the starter.

Have you checked for 12 volts on the red wire at the starter and then 12volts with the key in the crank position on the yellow with gray wire at the starter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
85 yes 87 no
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like your relay is dead. If you have power at 30 and 85 but it doesn't send power to 87 then the relay is bad.

Try swapping it with another relay- sometimes a headlight or foglight relay is the same. Swap it out, see if it starts, and if it does then you just need a new relay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bought new relay days ago. Didnot work. Also im changing relays still no 12v at87
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can rig the relay to crank, the car cranks but no start.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry did u mean 87a or just plain 87.