gomi_otaku, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealership technician

1990 doge ram 250 van. Engine idles fine in park/neutral,

Customer Question

1990 doge ram 250 van. Engine idles fine in park/neutral , when put in drive , it nearly kills the motor and there is no power. Engine revs fine and throttle is responsive in park and neutral. No response to the throttle when in gear. Does not stall though.
JA: Have you checked the spark plugs? When was your air filter last changed?
Customer: A complete tune up a month ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, not myself. I thought the Tranny(auto) my not be accessing the lower gears. It feels similar to starting off in too high of a gear in a standard tranny. My tranny guy says it's not the tranny, but a power issue. I've been reading about the torque converter and various sensor/fuel problems
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The van is a 4WD conversion. I can creep around in low range. No stalling. Way under powerd though. Going down hill I can use high range and it almost feels normal at higher gears. The tranny mech says it's shifting just fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 months ago.

It sounds to me like you have a bad torque converter, it may not be fully locked up but pretty close.