-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

I have a dodge ram 1500, 2005, 4x4 SLT. Drove it this AM

Customer Question

I have a dodge ram 1500, 2005, 4x4 SLT. Drove it this AM without any issue. Tried to start it just now and I get nothing, no clicking no nothing, except, a red light to the left of the tach blinks on off, dome light blink on/off, odometer miles blink on/off.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: No, which ones? under the steering column?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It won't start so either I fix it or its going to cost.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that's all I know,....... has 70,000 miles, but I've never had a problem with it. Change the oil regularly every 3000 miles, etc...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

The red light is your security light meaning the key or the key module is bad.. Do you have another key to try to rule out a bad key? If not then you will either need to call a locksmith to have him cut and program you a new key to see if it starts if not it's likely a bad module... The proper way to disgnose this issue is to see what codes the SKIM module has and run the proper diagnostics for each code.. If you don't have a scantool like I said your only option is to try a locksmith and cut and program a new key.. There is no way to bypass the security system to allow it to start..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,