Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Pcm wont communicate, odometer flashes, does not say no bus,

Customer Question

pcm wont communicate, odometer flashes, does not say no bus, send error codes 920 921 when performing instrument cluster self check.
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 160,903
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1998 dodge durango 5.2l 4x4 slt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive check all fuses, ran a volt meter to the map tps ckps cmps and all have 5v supply and good ground. checked and cleaned the ground locations under hood also the battery terminals and power supply to the pdc. also replaced pcm with a remanufactured pre prodrammed pcm, with no change
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it had thrown an engine code while i was driving in town , got it home and plugged my innova 3100 obd2 scanner into the dlc and it would not connect to the pcm. i tried it again and it would not connect and thats when the gauges went to zero and it would crank but not start, the fuel pump has been disabled by the pcm as it does not prime the engine when the key is turned to the run position
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started. Was the PCM replaced? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!