Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2008 Dodge Dakota Front Control Module. Having turn signal

Customer Question

2008 Dodge Dakota Front Control Module. Having turn signal failure on left rear, changed bulb and relay, not the problem. Assume its the FCM, but still can't figure out if I can get a used one, or have to buy a new one and can install myself, or does a dealer need to use a starscan tool?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. YES, this is a very common failure with the Front control module. You will need to purchase a new one and have it configured to the vehicle using the factory scan tool after it is installed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. *****'ve heard conflicting answers on this. Here's another answer from another Dodge Mechanic that is conflicting http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2v3r5-put-used-front-control-module-2005-dodge-durango.html
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. Let me review that thread..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, some people have actually gotten used ones from same year cars and those worked. Trying to figure out if there's either a VIN code (ie, the vin sets the options the car had from a database), or its just a passive device that can be installed and self configures, or if there's no real configuration. super confusing, and thanks for your help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
FYI, former ASE dealer mechanic here, very (very!) out of date, changed careers years ago, so pretty technical and have my own scanner.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

That thread was from 2009. That expert is no longer with us. I suspect because he was not providing the customers with the proper information. As far as I am aware of, it needs to be configured/programmed once it is installed. The best thing to do is to call your local Dodge Dealership and speak with the service department and give them your VIN number and they will be able to tell you for sure if it needs to be programmed or configured once it is installed. I suspect it will.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. Trying to avoid an $800 job that I could likely fix myself, so I need more details. I know you've given me what you know to be true, and thank you for that, but these FCMs are known weak spots and really want to get to the bottom of whether it needs to really be coded or its just a way to prevent there from being a comeback at the dealer for some obscure reason.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do know that used ones work also, just not sure if the options need to be set in the FCM which is what the starscan tool actually does.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

It needs to be coded using the Wi tech Factory Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler new scanner. Even if you get a used one, it will need to be configured or coded once it is installed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Did you have any further questions?