Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My ac runs fin while then slowly shuts down by it shelf? If

Customer Question

My ac runs fin for a while then slowly shuts down by it shelf? If you shuts it off for 5 to 10 minutes it while work again?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: yes every thing was just checked out 2 weeks ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: Ram 2500 -2006 mega cab
JA: What year is your Ram 2500?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and nothing at this point
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I know,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can assist you if you are still interested

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My AC is shouting off by its self, if you turn it off wait 5 to 10 minutes them back on it will blow cold air. But it will do the same thing again. I just had it check out and the system check out a couple of weeks ago What do you thing the problem is

There are a couple of problem areas on that series truck. One of the areas is the spot in between the radiator and the condenser. It gets clogged with debris and raises the pressure. The other is the fan clutch. Depending on what year model you have, you will have a hydraulic or electrical fan clutch. I replaced a lot of clutches. However, the only way you can tell they are bad is hooking it to the dealership's witech. They can compare the rpms with the fans rpms and tell if it is spooling up or dropping off. The last area you need to check is the evaporator core. They are bad about clogging up. Just need to drop the blower motor. If it is dirty, get a water hose with a spray nozzle and wash to core out. You will see water running out under the truck coming out from the evaporator drain.

Another simple check you can do is get some dawn dish soap and test the Schrader valves. Simply unscrew the caps on both valves and fill the hole up with dish soap. If there is a leaking Schrader valve you will see bubbles. Then wash the soap out and have the Freon recovered so you can change the valve(s).