sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 dodge ram 1500 when ac switch is set to max it will

Customer Question

2001 dodge ram 1500 when ac switch is set to max it will close blend door and ac still blows very strong and nice and cold but air coolnest is greatly altered to semi cold blend door servo blend door opens and closes. been the diaphragm inside servo is leaking-
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: been told 2001 dodge ram 1500 needs the air servo operating the blend door of ac needs replacing--blows cold but without warning the blend door open/closes [?] randomly and air turns less cold and feels humid, but stilol cool, but not much
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: there is no leek in radiator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing myself have a mechanic on standby once i find part needed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no. he is the one that explained to me what wrong --said a c servo for truck needs replacing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It appears that your blend door is moving on it's own dependent on blower motor speed? if the door doesn't hold in position when airflow is greater then either the door is broken or the actuator has failed. The blend door uses an electric actuator mounted on the outside of the top of the heater box. What will need to be done is remove the dash to access the actuator, remove it and check it's condition as well as the visible part of the door where the actuator engages. If the door is broken then the heater box will need to be replaced to replace the door. If the door operates correctly by hand then the actuator will need to be replaced.