bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

2000durango 5.9 no injector pulse.will run on spray.i feel

Customer Question

2000durango 5.9 no injector pulse.will run on spray.i feel security problem.no codes
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

security WILL NOT allow the truck to tun on spray our security systems kill everything, fuel AND spark so the truck will not run at all for more than 2 seconds then die then after a preset number of starts with the security activated it kills the crank function as well.

have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure?

sounds like the fuel pump has died

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have 55psi
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got fire I got fuel I have no inj pulse width.sounds like security.no codes no cel.i can make sec.light c ome on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have never lost crank or fuel pressure.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

ok first i need some history here, when did this happen?

you say there is no pulse with no codes BUT it runs on carb cleaner and no codes, how have you checked for codes, (the pre OBD2 key cycle is disabled on many models so a scan tool or code reader is needed here), how did you check for loss of injector pulse?

i would like the vin to pull the correct wiring diagrams and look for any splices, as teh PCM only provides the ground and teh ASD relay provides power to all the injectors, and the coils,so if it runs on carb cleaner i would suspect a wiring issue

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The truck is at the shop I will get the vin .I used snap on scanner no codes.im at home doing this research.i will get back to you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bill I sprayed it with carb cleaner it started for a second then died.i put a noid light on injector plug and got no light or pulse.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

OK with no codes on your scanner and no pulse we can assume the hot side of the injectors is not getting powered, the DARK GREEN with ORANGE stripe wire is the power feed lets see if there is power at this wire WHILE CRANKING, that is the only time other than running OR the first 10 seconds after key on the wire is energized, it is fed from the ASD relay which also feeds the coils and several other circuits, so since it runs on spray we can assume the asd is energizing, this wire originates in the UNDERHOOD fuse box (PDC) but splices off in several directions so if there is no power at the feed wire then back trace this wire to the first splices which are under the fuel rail in the intake manifold wiring harness

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think there is batt voltage at injector while cranking I will check it again.i jump the auto shutdown relay and there is batt voltage on injector.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when spinning over I have good spark,i don't know how long it will last but I have spark at the coil.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

i DO need the vin to get the correct diagrams and decode it to see if this truck actually ever had any security from the factory, HOWEVER id all you're losing is fuel injector and the vehicle runs on carb cleaner i would have to say pull a fuel sample and see if it's contaminated, also see if your scanner supports VTA (vehicle theft alarm) fuel shut off in the PCM data stream, with a DRB3 we can see if the pcm is shutting down the engine due to an active VTA, a reset on this would be lock and unlock the drivers door or preferably with the factory remote, also the scan tool SHOULD say if the pcm has entered VTA shut off.

again though what's the whole story here and history, when did this thing die

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help.i forgot the vin number but I will get it tomorrow.i don't have a computer at work.So far your spot on.I am no longer looking for security ,Maybe ground wires clear flood mode or other.Thanks again David
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

i wish i could respond quicker but at work we have restrictions on internet usage and teh expert "mobile" site is very slow, sadly it won't let me revert back to the standard site on my phone.

i would look over the scan data and pull a fuel sample i have had plenty of people "accidentally" add diesel to their fuel and if you have E85 i have seen that as well.

no codes usually kicks me to the quality of the fuel, since OBD regulations forced everyone to monitor most everything

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks i'll talk to you tomorrow with vin
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

were you able to get the vin, and check the fuel quality ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning,i got news yesterday that the customer put in a used computer.My boss is sending it to dodge to be reprogrammed.I was told he put in an ignition switch,i guess that's why I couldn't get security off my mind.i do appreciate your help.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.

ahh the old used computer story, you MAY be half right in security, if the vin's don't match it won't run, now here's the fun part only vehicles that were ORIGINALLY equipped with security key (SKIM or fat grey key) can have the vins rewritten at a dealer, NO SKIM pcm's have the vin burnt permanently and require a rebuilder to erase the vin

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service