Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Whining noise upon startup, Pretty consistent. few weeks but

Customer Question

Whining noise upon startup
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: Pretty consistent. For a few weeks but would quit after about 30 secs. Now continuing as we drive
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2008 ram 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing just worried about driving. Sounds like it is inside not outside
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Truck recent oil change everything else goid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am an ASE master tech. Glad to help you with this.

Hard to say what this is without hearing it for myself. Usually a whine noises are related to alternators, power steering pumps, and transmission pumps. You should take the serp belt off and start it, if the noise goes away then you have a problem with something that is spinning by the belt, ps pump alternator, idle pulley etc. If it is still making the noise you know its from the engine, or transmission. Check the fluid level of the trans make sure it is not too low. Also check the power steering fluid. Check for fluid leaks under the vehicle.

Hoping this helps you out, and please feel free to ask me anymore questions.

Thanks, Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan